Notes by Brian Firth. Awaiting photographic visit.
St. George’s Churchyard, Well Street.
Opened 1824, closed in 1970.
After acts of vandalism the crypt was finally cleared in 1993 and remains moved to Nunhead. The church was converted into flats in 1994 and the burial ground turned into a car park.
The church was consecrated in 1824, the ground being given by Mr. John Rolls. The churchyard measures about an acre, and was laid out in 1886 by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association. It is maintained by the vestry. A mortuary has been built on it. (Holmes)
Dulwich Burial-ground, Court Lane.
Consecrated 1616 according to some sources. Not quite as rural as it once was, but still attractive. Burial place of, among other notables, Old Bridgett, Queen of the Gypsies (d. 1768.)
The graveyard of God's Gift College. Size; 1½ roods. This ground dates from about 1700. It is closed and very neatly kept. There are several large altar tombs in it, and it is a most rural and picturesque spot. (Holmes)
Camberwell Cemetery, Forest Hill Road.
29½ acres. First used in 1856. Open daily. (Holmes)
Nunhead Cemetery (All Saints).
A long neglected place, overgrown and vandalised. Now it has dedicated Friends, and is open to the public, awaiting refurbishment. See The Victorian Catacombs at Nunhead by Ron Woollacott.
50 acres. First used in 1840. Open daily. (Holmes)
The Aged Pilgrims Asylum,
The tomb of the founder is in the courtyard.
Wesleyan Chapel-ground, Stafford Street, Peckham.
In the 20th century the ground was used as a store yard for a pickle factory, then a car park. Now lost and built over.
336 square yards. The chapel is now a school, the burial-ground being the playground, a paved yard. (Holmes)
Friends Burial-ground, Peckham Rye.
In use for cremated remains until 1959.
Bodies from the ground exhumed in 1963 and moved to Camberwell Cemetery. The meeting house became a GPO sorting office. Ground now built on.
About 470 square yards. This ground was purchased in 1821, it is behind. The meeting-house in Hanover street has some small flat gravestones in it, and is closed. It is most beautifully kept with neatly mown grass and a border of flowers. (Holmes)
burials from a convent took place here but in 1818 the site was purchased, and it is now under the police station in the High St.
Possible vaults or church burials
Emmanuel Church Camberwell Rd.
Built 1841-2. Now a Greek Orthodox church.
St Paul's Herne Hill
St John's East Dulwich Rd
Built 1863-4 but on the site of East Dulwich Chapel founded 1827.
Christchurch, Old Kent Rd.
St Mary Magdalene's, St Mary's Rd Peckham
Built 1839-40; bombed 1940 and demolished. A new church was built on the site.
St Chyrsostom Peckham Hill St. Peckham
Built as a proprietary chapel in 1813. Demolished in 1963
Click here for a note on church and vault burials.