londonburials.co.uk

Home page     Introduction    Books     Links   City    North London   South London 

Farringdon Ward Without 1
North of Holborn
Key:   Current observations and notes    Holmes (1897)     Other sources    Maps

 

Existing grounds

St. Sepulchre's Churchyard, Holborn.
 Area to the North a 'private garden'.
The churchyard was reduced in size in 1760 and again in 1871 when Holborn Viaduct was constructed and the road widened to take in much of the ground to the South. 
Many bodies were exhumed at this time and re-interred in the City of London Cemetery at Ilford.


View of 1837



2003


Graveyard to north of church


Same view from other direction.


Watchhouse, restored after war damage.



Rocque showing churchyard originally  extending further to the south. 


St. Bartholomew the Great .
Ground level is much higher than in 1830's print.
The churchyard of the monastery was to the N, and became the site of Bartholemew Fair. Area to the W was set aside for burials  in 1544 after destruction of  most of the priory. The W area, entered by a gate that was once part of the priory, is much higher than in the 1830s print.  To the S is an enclosed garden flanking the old cloister and overlooked by hospital buildings. There is now no trace of the poor ground to the North. 
On the site of the ancient nave, the Green-ground on the site of the south transept, and a remnant of the Poor-ground on the north side. 
The Priory had a cemetery attached, which is covered by the buildings near the south transept of the church. (Holmes) 


1830's

2002


St. Bartholomew the Less. 
St. Bartholomew’s Hospital Burial-ground.  (Lost)

The history of burial grounds at St Bartholomew's hospital is complex. There have been four burial grounds on this site. 
1. Burial ground adjacent  to St Bartholomew the Less church. (South East.) See photograph below. Now tarmacked over.  Holmes says it one extended further south; open ground to the NE may have been burial ground as well - Rocque (see below) suggests this. 
2. Large burial ground of St Bartholomew the Less to the South, shown as 2 on Ogilvy and Morgan below. The W wing of the hospital was built on this site in the middle of the eighteenth century, and remains there today. Outline shown on Rocque.
3. 'New churchyard' for St Bartholomew the less (shown as 3 on on O & M). Probably built on around the same time though could be part of the central courtyard. 
4. The hospital burial ground to the south, (4) on the site of the old city ditch next to the wall. Still existing on Rocque's map, but built on by school buildings for Christ's Hospital by the time of Horwood.  Replaced by  Post Office buildings and bodies removed to the City of London Cemetery. 


In the hospital. At one time it extended further south. (Holmes)




Ogilby and Morgan  1676



Rocque


Vault of   Gray's Inn Chapel.

Vault of  Ely Place Chapel. (St Etheldreda's)
Cleared. Now a cafe.



Link to Farringdon Without (South)